Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Paris Starbucks


I am an espresso drinker and enjoy the fact that it is the most abundant coffee drink in Europe.  There are times, though, that a change of pace calls for a latte or mocha.  I am not a huge fan of Starbucks, but they are consistent in their product line- when you place your order, you pretty much know what you are going to get.

The routine is fairly consistent as well; place your order, they ask your name and they write it on the cup. Once your drink is ready, they call your name.  Simple, or so it would seem.  The initial exchange was something along these lines:

Cashier:  "Your name?"
Me:  "Vector"
Cashier:  (blank stare...)
Me:  "Vector, V... E... C... T... O... R"
Cashier: "V... E..." (back to original blank stare)
Me: "V....... E....... C....... T....... O....... R"

It seemed as though slowing down the spelling did the trick as she wrote on the cup and thanked me.

When my drink was ready the barista looked at the cup and called out, "Vincetior".  I knew it had to be my drink.  I acknowledged her call and accepted my drink.  When I saw the name on the cup I realized that spelling it out had not conveyed the message.  I sent myself a mental text:   **KEEP IT SMPL**

Fast forward several days to a different Starbucks.  The young man working the register started the familiar routine:

Man:  "Your name?"
Me: "Z" (remember, I wanted to keep it simple...)
Man: "Z ?!?"
Me: "Yes, Z"
Man: "Z?,  like Zorro?"
Me: "Yes, Z, like Zorro"
Man: "OK, Zorro, merci"

When my drink was ready the barista looked at the cup and without hesitation called out "Zorro!"

So the world knows about Zorro, and there is most likely not going to be more than one Zorro at a time in any given Starbucks.  In an effort to save time and reduce confusion, go ahead- tell them you are Zorro.


No comments:

Post a Comment